"Did you try... "

"Maybe you should..."
"{Insert Editor's Name} would like to see..."
"Photo really wants..."


Depending on where you sit in the Art Department, you've either uttered these words, or had them unloaded on you. You probably DID try...or, at least, you THOUGHT about it. But your co-workers want hard proof; I know I certainly do!

And, why is it that, sometimes, the answer is not so clear?


And then the final version of the story comes in, and the expectations have shifted, the art approach needs to change...



Did you watch it yet? C'mon! I wanna get more than 100 views by week's end!
  • G.Glas

    Coverlines are a challenge... especially when your editor can't decided what she wants.

    I'm working with image selection right now. It's funny how options grow. Scott Dadich post about the wrong theory is intriguing and makes a good point, "whenever I've been pleased with a layout at the time I ship it to the printer, I'm usually disappointed with the result when I go back to it after some time has passed."

    This happens to me but, I think as a designer it is ingrained... constantly changing and evolving layouts to the point you have 60 options and each one kicks ass in its own way.

    Your options are limited only by your fears. Which isn't good when your fearless



  • G.Glas

    Thanks for the explanation! It is odd how some layouts seem to get tweaked again and again.

    I just produced 20 cover options for our Sept/Oct. issue... in one day.

  • George Karabotsos

    Well, you beat my 18 versions that I did on Tuesday night! ...which was just for image selection... the coverlines will be a whole different matter.

  • G.Glas

    How long it took: My guess is 10 days with 2/3 variations a day...

  • George Karabotsos

    If only things happened so logically. Truth is, the first batch of variations using the original shoot from the photographer we sent to China, took about 3 days for those 23 variations. It was more a matter of crank out the options and take a look.

    Then we had to wait a few days for Eddie Guy to do his thing.

    Then when we decided to reshoot the opener, we had over a week to wait before working on the opener again.

    Thankfully, we could work on the rest of the feature and produce it. Otherwise we would have been totally screwed!

    Amusingly, the whole process took about a month. It was the one feature we had in early...and it was the one feature we had hoped to close early. That never seems to work out that way!

blog comments powered by Disqus