Assistant Photo Editor
- Job Description:
DISCOVER magazine is looking for an Assistant Photo Editor. Ideal candidate will have 2-3 years experience working in the photo department at a consumer magazine. Position requires a BA in photography or a related field. We offer an excellent benefit package which includes health/dental/life insurances, and 401k/ Profit Sharing and pension plans. GENERAL SKILLS: The Assistant Photo Editor should be able to readily identify what makes a strong image. Must be a creative, innovative thinker with a unique viewpoint. Affinity for science- and nature-related imagery a plus. SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: - Research imagery for departments and features. - Assist the Photo Editor in the production of photo shoots. - Negotiate fees for all imagery used within the given budget. - Enter photo research into the magazine's creative library. - Assist the Photo Editor in preparing for monthly art meetings. - Review portfolios and seek out new talent with the Photo Editor. - Develop story ideas and creative solutions with the entire editorial staff. - Participate in layout review meetings.
- Position: Photo Editor, Assistant
- Area of Focus: Photo
- City: New York City
- Region: Northeast
- Duration: Full-time
- Company: Discover Magazine/Kalmbach Publishing Co.
- Contact Address: 90 Fifth Ave, 11th Floor, NYC 10011
- Contact Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Name: Debi Allen
- How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume to the attention of Debi Allen at email@example.com. Please put "Assistant Photo Editor" in the subject line your email.
- Job Requirements: - Must have contacts and familiarity with various stock agencies and photographers. - Actively seek to understand the magazine, its history, and its readers - Demonstrate an interest in science and technology, and keep abreast of current news and developments - Complete assignments on deadline and take on additional tasks as needed with a cooperative, can-do attitude. - Ask questions of peers and supervisors, but only after performing independent research and investigation - Recognize and demonstrate through job behavior and performance that the best way to put out a superior-quality publication is through a team effort - Act professionally and ethically at all times