BloodHorse LLC, the leading provider of information and news for the Thoroughbred industry has an opening for its Production Director in its Lexington, Kentucky office.
The Creative Services Director supervises the production of multiple cross-platform products, which entails active involvement through all phases of pre-production, planning, production, schedule, execution and distribution in a cost-effective and time sensitive manner. The Director is responsible for defining strategy and developing, executing, and managing comprehensive production plan for various print and digital products. Responsibilities include communicating with customers, management, internal departments, and vendors to coordinate overall publishing effort in accordance with corporate goals. The Director plays an integral role in improving efficiencies within publishing cycle and leads and directs a forward-thinking team including both print and online graphic artists and production professionals.
• Directs general operations of production team, including establishing operating and strategic priorities and serving as liaison with editors, sales representatives and publisher.
• Responsible for daily production operations including book markups, quality control, timeline management and digital advertising placement.
• Develops and maintains production schedules for magazines in both print and tablet format, brochures, and online promotional campaigns.
• Responsible for obtaining quotes and bids for all publications/projects and manages all manufacturing vendor relationships.
• Prepares and manages $2,000,000 budget.
• Approves all manufacturing invoices.
• Responsible for 10+ titles schedules, budgets, quality, communication and delivery.
• Provide leadership and direction to marketing associates to guide the creation of promotional materials, and ensure congruence with objectives.
• Track, project and report statistics of advertising and editorial values.
• Structure, hire, train and supervise production team.
Knowledge and Skill requirements
▪ Prior experience in print magazine publishing.
▪ Significant experience managing multiple titles, outside developers, internal/external resources.
▪ Proficiency in Excel, Word, Adobe Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator and all file formats generated by these applications.
▪ Knowledge of XML data use within templated InDesign documents
▪ Strong background in Acrobat and all versions of PDF's and their uses.
▪ Must know all facets and pitfalls of digital file transfers including email, FTP, CD, DVD, etc.
▪ Must be familiar with standard project accounting procedures.
▪ Understanding of postal requirements for periodicals.
▪ Must know Mac OS and be comfortable in a Windows environment.
▪ Must have a thorough understanding of font management software as well as all types of fonts and font problems.
▪ Knowledge of ad serving systems and processes a plus.
▪ Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
▪ Must have excellent trouble shooting skills, strong organizational skills and be able to learn new technologies on the fly.
• Normal office environment.
• Some after hours work is required to meet deadlines.
• Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.