ESPN is seeking a multifaceted, multitalented Sr. Art Director to join our Print and Digital design group in Bristol. The art director will work closely with the Digital and Print creative director to help define and develop new visual and typographic directions for ESPN The Magazine as well as a variety of digital initiatives including app and web design. Candidates should excel as hands-on designers, as managers and at ideation. Their sense of design and typography must be clean, classic and highly developed, with an inherent knowledge of the role it plays in defining a brand. They should have a deep interest in information graphics, illustration, photography--and sports. In this position, the art director is expected to be a leader within the department, manage illustrators and coordinate the work of freelance designers. The ability to conceptualize content and articulate it to co-workers, however, is perhaps the most valuable skill a candidate can possess.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
• Designs pages, sets up templates and assigns illustrations.
• Monitors, mentors and manages designers to ensure their work is forward-looking and cutting edge.
• Applies ingenuity, creativity, analytical and organizational skills to identify and to develop the design and look and feel of print and digital products.
• Manage and mentor assigned designers and illustrators to ensure designs are sophisticated, forward looking and cutting edge.
• Supports a positive effective team atmosphere, sets clear expectations, schedules and direction.
• Works closely with editorial staff in communicating various design strategies.
• Oversee budgets, meets deadlines and controls creative and design quality.
• Ensure adherence to established style guidelines for all assigned projects.