The Position: Design Director, Coastal Living
Location: Birmingham, AL
Time Inc. is one of the largest branded media companies in the world. The company reaches more than 130 million people globally each month across multiple platforms, with influential brands like Time, People, Sports Illustrated, InStyle, Real Simple, Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine and Wallpaper. Our Birmingham AL location is home to our well-known Coastal Living, Southern Living, Cooking Light, MyRecipes.com and Oxmoor brands.
This southern city is in the midst of a cultural renaissance. It's not about barbecue; it's not about cool coffee joints; it's not about reclaimed urban green space; it's not about converted loft neighborhoods; it's not about new restaurant, bar, shop, and gallery openings; it's not about music, art, and film festivals. It's about all of that, and so much more. Best of all: you can enjoy everything the city has to offer and a high quality of life. Thanks to short commute times and mild weather (think year-round outdoor living).
Do you love gorgeous homes, delicious food, sunny travel, inspiring people, and warm-weather style? Are you passionate about a coastal lifestyle? Do you have a knack for seeing the big picture outlook while also obsessing over the smallest of details? Do you art direct your world, from your home to your outfit? If your answer to these questions is a resounding yes, then read on for details about the Coastal Living Design Director.
The Design Director is a senior member of the management team, the visual authority of the staff. S/he will work with the Editor and Style Director to create, define, and execute visual strategy for all content for Coastal Living.
• Oversee all design direction. Ensure that overall look and feel of the brand products is appealing to both consumer and advertising audiences.
• Assist in shaping editorial direction. Collaborate with editor, style director executive editor, and managing editor to generate editorial content mix, relying heavily on brand awareness and brand filter. Work closely with editors and the art department to reinforce brand mission through story design.
• Manage and mentor members of the art and photo departments and freelance designers. Coach them in all things "coastal"; share resources; and help them find solutions when questions and challenges arise. Serve as a first line of approval for their work product.
• Design and art direct content. Design all covers and certain features; art direct photo shoots when needed.
• Facilitate communication. Help serve as a liaison between editorial, art, and photo departments.
• Ensure consistency of brand design across all sections and platforms.
• Know the landscape. Monitor competitors for ideas and talent.
• 7-10 years of art direction experience at a magazine, catalogue, or other relevant business
• The ability to navigate adversity and anticipate issues before they arise
• Clear communication skills, a detail-oriented approach, consistent execution and overall reliability
• A passion for what you do; your enthusiasm for your work is contagious
• A deep understanding of and finely honed filter for the brand