Applicants for this core position within the worlds biggest-selling LGBT title will need to be experienced, organized, and diligent, capable of working with a small team of dedicated editors on producing the magazine 10 times a year. The right candidate will be at home working on a diverse range of content, from thoughtful entertainment stories to investigative journalism and photo-driven portfolios, including our ASME-nominated platform issue, the OUT 100. This position is the lynchpin of our operation, and the person filling it will be required to track all stories and art work with conception, stay on top of editors delivery dates, and manage freelancer payments. They will work closely with the art and photo departments, as well as the Editor in Chief and senior editors, and will be responsible for ensuring the magazine meets its print dates.
• Working with all magazine editors on scheduling line edits, offering critical analysis
• Supervising copy editing and fact-checking
• Writing display copy
• Opportunity contributing articles to the print publication
• Some fact-checking and copy-editing
• Trafficking stories from assignment through production
• Establishes meeting and deadline schedules
• Makes decisions about scheduling and other shipping-related needs
• Assists in enforcing deadlines and ensuring that the magazine and site content is on time
• Works on scheduling and guiding editorial staff in individual micro-level planning and establishes effective means for keeping staff apprised of impending deadlines
• Prepares editorial-configuration (pagination) for distribution to editorial and advertising departments
• Negotiates final pagination configuration with Publisher, Editor in Chief, and Art Director to address effectively all parties concerns
• Works with production department to ensure editorial department's scheduling and deadlines are on target
• Serves as a point person for matters involving writers' fees, contracts, and payments and manages editorial budgets
• Plays active role in idea-generation meetings, and serves as enthusiastic editorial presence
• Primary editorial staff member responsible for managing editorial expenses for writing, photo, and travel and assisting the team to keep spending within budgetary limits.
• Other tasks as assigned by the Editor in Chief.