Recently in Art Director Category
Washington D.C. 08.25.14
About you: You seek out and appreciate art and design. You are a creative at heart, but you are really motivated by a curiosity about the rest of the world. You enjoy explaining complex issues in order to educate an audience on a particular issue. You have an inherent interest in politics, advocacy, international culture, and believe the best way to manifest this is by creating compelling (and beautiful) narratives that engage readers and start conversations. You don't just scan headlines--you consume media. You read, a lot. And you love living in (or would like to live in) our nation's capital.
Must have skillsets:
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Vast knowledge/personal relationships with illustrators, artists, designers, creative reps and agencies, and photographers to commission/collaborate with
• Impeccable design sensibility with attention to detail
• 2 to 3 years experience in an art director/editorial designer capacity
• Illustration/graphic-illustration/image-making ability (note: gets fun and dirty making images)
• Familiarity collaborating with journalists, editors, and developers, in a magazine, newspaper, or online capacity
• Ability to think quickly through news stories, to find unique angles that challenge conventional storytelling
• Keeps well-organized and clean files (note: keeps a tight grid system)
Nice to have skillsets:
• Some coding experience (CSS and HTML) possibly jQuery, D3--and an interest in expanding said skills
• Data visualization/longform/interactives experience
• Experience with photo editing, familiarity and/or relationships with photo agencies
• Writing/editing experience
• Video editing/motion graphics experience
• A background in politics, advocacy, or international affairs
Art Director 08.09.13
New York City 03.13.12
New York City 03.06.12
• Design pages for all sections
• Must know InDesign well and have a good handle on Photoshop
• Must be organized
• Must have excellent typographic, design and production skills
• 5+ years of magazine experience
• Abilility to work closely with editors, photo editors and other members of the art team
• Woodwing knowledge a plus
• Potential 2+ month assignment
• Start immediately
New York City 01.18.12
The Art director is charged with maintaining the high quality design and packaging of the magazine and online sites. The Art Director must make the graphics visually interesting, lively, and relevant to the content within the tone of the current format, and execute and maintain the general design direction, which is set by the editor in chief. Additionally, the Art Director supervises the Associate Art Director and the Production Manager.
What we're looking for:
This mid-level designer will report to the art director and will manage front of the book, departments and some features for both print and tablet editions of the magazine. Responsibilities include design of sections, assigning of illustration, conceptualizing of shoots and the design of charts/graphics/complex data. The ideal candidate is someone who is a strong designer with a great sense of typography and packaging with a passion for magazines and an strong interest in tablet design.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field.
- 5 years consumer magazine experience.
- Sophisticated sense of design, photography, and typography.
- Great working relationship with illustrators.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work well in a deadline-driven, collaborative environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Skilled in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of Woodwing.
- Experience at a finance magazine a plus but not essential.
Please send resume and a link to an online portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
The candidate should be proficient in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop and must possess great attention to detail, as well as a strong sensibility of type and image. This candidate should also be familiar with web conventions for creating content for Details.com.
Job duration until end of August 2011.
Send resume and design samples to Nathalie_Kirsheh@condenast.com
RESPONSIBILITIES The Art Director will set and maintain standards for all art content --design, photography, illustration and production--for Seattle Met. Duties include design or design approval of magazine art content; assigning and editing photography and illustrations and cultivating relationships with freelance photographers and illustrators. This person must have creative vision, the ability to generate original concepts, a high level of design sophistication, a keen eye for photography, and exceptional typography skills.The ability to create images using infographics or typography is a must. The art director will hire and supervise a deputy art director, recruit interns, and manage workflow with firm deadlines, and work in daily collaboration with editorial and production teams. In addition, the art director will manage and oversee branding and design for marketing materials, direct mail, etc.
EXPERIENCE: Qualified candidates must have at least 5 years of experience designing or art directing for a national or regional consumer magazine and at least 2 years of experience hiring, managing, and mentoring designers; managing a budget; art directing photo shoots including portraits, food and fashion, still and documentary photos.
SKILLS: Education and techical background must include expert skills in InDesign, Mac Photoshop and Illustrator, extensive knowledge and stylish use of type, photography, and illustration. Best candidates will have a bachelor's degree in graphic design or similar field and bring outstanding conceptual and organizational skills to a fast-paced workplace. Web skills, including design, video, and interactive media are a huge plus. Being a magazine design geek and fun to work with helps too.
Please send cover letter, resume, and PDFs or links to relevant samples to email@example.com and put "Art Director" in the subject line. No phone calls.
About Seattle Met
Seattle Metropolitan magazine has been the top-selling magazine in the greater metropolitan area, having won many awards including General Excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association, Folio, Communication Arts, and multiple Society of Professional Journalists awards. Seattle Met is published by Sagacity Media Inc., who also publishes Seattle Metropolitan Bride & Groom, Portland Monthly, Portland Monthly Bride & Groom.
McGraw-Hill Construction is the publisher of the premiere magazines that serve the architecture and building communities. Our titles include the 120-year old Architectural Record, the 130-year old Engineering News-Record, SNAP, an architectural products tabloid, and GreenSource, as well as ancillary publications.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: 7 or more years editorial Art Direction experience at consumer of b-to-b brand-name publications. Some experience managing workflow and budgets. Solid experience in commissioning photography and illustration, looking for a great rolodex of contributors. Experience in and the ability to create complex information graphics hands-on. A passion for typography and typographic design chops a big plus. Expert knowledge of K4, InDesign CS3 and above, Illustrator, and Photoshop also essential.
BENEFITS: Health plus full range of benefits
Send me an email with a cover letter, resume, and 3 or 4 samples but no more than 5 MB.
DO NOT CALL.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To apply, please use following link:
New York City 12.21.10