POWDER Magazine is seeking qualified applicants for the following position:
• Art Director: Full-time position based in Carlsbad, CA. Start date May 4, 2015.
The Art Director works as the visual director for the POWDER brand, combining hands-on graphic design and brand stewardship to ensure all products and visual aspects are on-brand. The position collaborates with the editorial team, sales and marketing, and the events department. The Art Director will provide the following duties, but not limited to:
• Designing across all print and digital channels including magazine, online, events, social media, email, mobile, and video.
• Laying out pages of the magazines, presenting the words and images in a way that is easy for readers to digest, with high-visual impact. Often with tight deadlines.
• Working with prepress department packaging ready pages through the process, proofing pages before sending to print.
• Designing compelling magazine covers. Collaborating with the Photo Editor and editorial team to ensure the package is compelling and has newsstand appeal.
• Designing concept and branding for Powder Awards.
• Developing brand identities from concept to design for all the POWDER franchise projects.
• Designing brand promo products including shirt, hats, ETC.
• Designing collaborative pieces with POWDER brands.
• Supervising contributing illustrators and graphic designers.
• Developing standards, systems and best practices for content design.
• Previous experience in digital and print design, preferably with a monthly publication, is required.
• Three to four years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• BFA in Graphic Design or bachelor's degree in Arts/Graphic Design or equivalent knowledge base.
• Knowledge of prepress workflows desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with creating compelling visuals for different target demographics.
• Expert level skill at all Adobe Create Suite applications.
• Clear articulation of brand direction behind each design project.
• Able to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
• Expertise with developing creative solutions in a variety of campaigns, and working with a brand identity.
• A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
• Ability to learn the latest platforms, technology tools, and marketing solutions through partnerships.
• Knowledge of (or eagerness to learn about) skiing culture and nuance desired.
• Required software knowledge: Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat.
Please submit resume and personalized cover letter to POWDER Editor John Stifter at firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid U.S. working permit.