Part 13: Photo Issues II

From deputy photo editor Anna Alexander:

I'm the photo editor on this experiment. I guess I'll fill you in on the juice of what happens next with the photo shoot attempts.  First, I get the contact info for the subject from the editor.  She gets it from the writer, and busts it back to me. My contact was Sony's publicist--he has requested I not reveal his name, so we'll call him The Publicist.

Contacting the subject for a photo shoot usually takes place somewhere between a green-lit pitch and the rough.  I'm a bit late on my post, so it's not quite chronological. There's a reason I have a degree in photography, not literature.

I usually don't call contacts first if email is provided. If I don't hear back for a bit, I attack by phone.  When I first wrote him, I mentioned that I was aware of Kaufman's "no photo shoot" stance, so I inquired about the possibility of doing a self-portrait.

Meanwhile, Scott remembered one of our senior editors, Adam Rogers, spending some time with the director Spike Jonze at a past Wired event.  Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman worked together on Being John Malkovich, and Jonze was a photographer in his early days.

I'm not going to post any emails between The Publicist and I, but I will post my updates to Scott, Nancy, and Jason regarding any info on shooting Charlie.

8/19/08

On 8/19/08 4:44 PM, "Anna Alexander" Anna_Alexander@wired.com> wrote:
So, I'm on the kaufman story and somebody (I'm not naming names) said that Charlie's friends with Spike Jonze and that you have good contact with spike jonze, so you might be able to help us secure a photo shoot with him. OR if Spike Jonze wants to take a photo of him?

anna

On 8/19/08 4:45 PM, "Rogers, Adam" <Adam_Rogers@wired.com> wrote:
I gave Spike a tour of NextFest in LA last year, and his producer might perhaps remember me. We had a good time. I could send an email reintroducing myself and asking if they'd be willing to talk to you about it?

Adam

On 8/19/08 4:47 PM, "Anna Alexander" Anna_Alexander@wired.com> wrote:
Thank you kindly.

On 8/19/08 4:48 PM, "Rogers, Adam" <Adam_Rogers@wired.com> wrote:
No promises, but I'll ping them....

Adam

On 8/19/08 5:30 PM, "Rogers, Adam" <Adam_Rogers@wired.com> wrote:
Contact there says she'll let me know by the end of the week....

Adam

8/20/08

from    Anna Alexander <Anna_Alexander@wired.com>
to    Scott Dadich <scott@wired.com>, Nancy Miller <Nancy_Miller@wiredmag.com>,
Jason Tanz <jason_tanz@wired.com>

date    Thu, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM
subject    Kaufman photo

The publicist has not gotten back to me about his possible self-portrait, but I expect sometime today I should hear from him.

Adam contacted Spike Jonze's people regarding a possible
Shoot with Jonze as the photographer (whoo!), which would make Kaufman feel much more comfortable.  He was told he would hear back before the weekend. I'll keep y'all updated as I know things.

-anna

On 8/20/08 10:19 AM, "Jason Tanz" <Jason_Tanz@wired.com> wrote:
Really cool. Great idea about Spike.

On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:37 AM, "Nancy Miller" <Nancy_Miller@wiredmag.com wrote:
Yeah!

8/21/08

from    Anna Alexander <Anna_Alexander@wired.com>
to    Jason Tanz <Jason_Tanz@wired.com>, Nancy Miller <Nancy_Miller@wiredmag.com>,
Scott Dadich <scott@wired.com>
date    Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM
subject    Kaufman photo

Just letting you know that Adam got back to me and though he had "all kind words for the magazine," Spike Jonze is incredibly busy doing post for his next movie.  I am supposed to hear from the publicist soon.

-anna

from Anna Alexander <Anna_Alexander@wired.com>
Scott Dadich <scott@wired.com>
date    Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:39 AM
subject    Kaufman photo, part deux

Just as I pressed "send" on that email, the publicist got back to me.
Kaufman is in Europe until Sunday, he'll let me know if he hears anything on Monday.

anna

8/27/08

from    Anna Alexander <Anna_Alexander@wired.com>
Scott Dadich <scott@wired.com>
date    Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:18 AM
subject    Photo update.

Aw yeah.
The publicist says Kaufman "has an idea he is thinking over" - and he'll let him know a bit later this week.
He's going to get back to LA and see what he has in the house in order to pull it off.

authenticity at it's best people!

-anna

On 8/27/08 10:20 AM, "Scott Dadich" scott@wired.com> wrote:
WOOOHOOO!
go ANNA!!!!

On 8/27/08 10:30 AM, "Jason Tanz" Jason_Tanz@wired.com> wrote:
HELLZ YES. great job. Really exciting.

On 8/27/08 10:31 AM, "Nancy Miller" Nancy_Miller@wiredmag.com> wrote:
Really nice, lady. Really nice.

On 8/27/08 11:07 AM, "Anna Alexander" Anna_Alexander@wired.com> wrote:
It gets better.

"He is THINKING of using some japanese doll they had made that looks like him (from some past film)...where he would shoot this doll in full frame and then he will hopefully place himself somewhere in the background of the shot as well..."

This is, of course, not set in stone...

On 8/27/08 11:20 AM, "Scott Dadich" Scott@wired.com> wrote: