Job Description: Concept, produce and design all covers, features and miscellaneous department-specific collateral for Austin Monthly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Employed full-time as Design Director of Austin Monthly and acting as supervisor of art staff. Works directly with Publisher, Editor-in-Chief and other editors on department, feature and cover design.
- Assign all illustration, hiring local and national artists within a predetermined budget. Approve all photography assigned by Photo Director.
- Approve and assist in all layouts done by Art Director and Ad Designer.
- Assist with materials for sales team (media kits, event branding, digital promotions).
- Work on a redesign of Austin Monthly in 2018.
- Work directly with printer on preflight, uploads and press checks.
- Bring innovative ideas and designs to the table for fresh, unique magazine issues.
- Prioritize work load and communicate well to team of art department and other departments for effective accomplishment of goals.
- Collaborate to accomplish task of taking excellent art to print; detailed and meticulous.
- Work independently and within team to maximize talents; great work ethic.
- Experience: 5-10 Years editorial design or publication experience
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Mac OS
- Advanced InDesign skills
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat
- Good time management skills and organization
- Knowledge of printing, binding, and proofing
Position: Design Director
Type of Job: Design
About Our Company: Austin Monthly, the award-winning city magazine of Texas’ state capital—home to South by Southwest, Austin City Limits, Barton Springs, the University of Texas, and the best barbecue in the world—is seeking a design director to join our team full time. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in editorial design for print and/or digital publications. We’re a small staff, so this role offers an amazing opportunity (and concomitant responsibilities) to define the visual language of our monthly magazine—including a planned redesign in 2018. We want an artistically minded creative force who understands the ways in which photography, illustrations, graphics, and blocks of copy interact to elevate the quality of our storytelling throughout the book. Qualified candidates must have a strong work ethic, the ability to manage a budget, and a solution-oriented attitude when confronting challenges. Established relationships with a stable of top-notch freelance artists are a big plus. Knowledge of Austin and Central Texas is a major asset as well, obviously.
Company: Austin Monthly
Contact Name: Stewart Ramser
Contact Email: email@example.com
How to Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, work samples and/or a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.