Institutional Investor magazine is seeking an experienced, energetic creative director to lead the design of Institutional Investor, its sister publication, Institutional Investor's Alpha, as well as the magazines' websites, instiutionalinvestor.com and instutitionalinvestorsalpha.com. The individual will work closely with the editor, international editor, research director and managing editor to create, define and execute the visual strategy for all content. He/she will manage art and photography for the two magazines and websites and will work with freelance photographers, illustrators, and graphic designers. Digital design experience is essential.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design stories and covers.
• Manage the small team of designers, whose responsibilities include designing the magazine, assisting with both print and web production and prepping art for digital content.
• Assist in updating institutionalinvestor.com by providing ideas for displaying content/charts/data and enhancing the overall user experience.
• Shoot photographs as needed and be the visual steward for the brand across platforms.
• Attend editorial and production meetings.
• Manage and mentor the art team, share resources and help them find solutions when questions and challenges arise. Serve as a first line of approval for their work product.
• Provide feedback and guidance to freelancers, ensuring quality expectations and deadlines are met.
• A bachelor's degree with 7-10 years of art direction experience.
• Strong magazine and typographic expertise, with a keen eye for photography, illustration and overall design.
• Ability to create exciting infographics, charts and visual explanations.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator required, as well as experience designing digital content.
• Thorough knowledge of image processing and retouching, color correction and CMYK pre-press and printing processes.
• Experience visualizing and art directing photo shoots.
• Ability to recruit, cultivate and retain freelance talent.
• A proactive self-starter with a collaborative spirit and a can-do attitude.
• Excellent organizational, communication and time management/multi-tasking skills.
• An innate ability to be detail-oriented, consistent and reliable.
• Must find satisfaction in contributing ideas and being hands-on to make the work happen.
• Ability to navigate adversity and anticipate issues before they arise.
• Ability to work on a tight budget.