Job Description: New York is seeking a seasoned magazine designer to join our award-winning design team as a Deputy Art Director. Under guidance of the Design Director, the Deputy Art Director is responsible for a wide range of editorial design assignments for the creation and production of our bi-weekly magazine.
- Responsible for 1-2 features per issue, and section layouts as needed (e.g. Culture Pages, Intelligencer, Cut, Strategist, etc.)
- Lead design for special issues, large editorial feature packages, and special section packages.
- Commission illustrations as needed.
- Iterate several layout options that inform editorial structure and photo selections.
- Contribute to the team’s creative power through fine art, illustration, and typographic exploration, research, and discovery.
- Collaborate with art directors, photo editors, editors, and other staff to meet tight deadlines.
- Other duties and editorial projects as assigned by manager.
- 5+ years in print editorial design required
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required; experience with K4 preferred
- Ability to work with a team to meet tight deadlines
- A love of typography and an eye for complex page design
- Proactive work style
- Ability to contribute clever creative solutions
Position: Deputy Art Director
Type of Job: Design, Art
City: New York
Region: New York
About Our Company: New York Media is a premium content company reaching sophisticated readers on the subjects they’re passionate about. The company publishes the groundbreaking magazine New York; the up-to-the-minute news and service website nymag.com; the entertainment-and-culture news site Vulture; the fashion-and-lifestyle site the Cut; the Grub Street food site; Select All, a vertical exploring technology and digital culture; the online shopping site Strategist; and New York Weddings and New York Design Hunting magazines.
Company: New York Magazine
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and samples of work or link to your portfolio via our online portal at https://jobs.lever.co/nymedia/8ad8426a-5070-4da0-a6e5-8bb70fb6bbc2. Only applications submitted through the portal will be considered.