Job Description: The Art Director of Foreign Affairs magazine is responsible for overseeing all aspects of design and layout in Foreign Affairs and ForeignAffairs.com. Founded in 1922, Foreign Affairs is the preeminent publication on international affairs and U.S. foreign policy. It is published by the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), which is a leading independent, nonprofit membership organization and nonpartisan center dedicated to producing and disseminating foreign policy ideas.
*Candidates should submit a link to their portfolio in their application materials.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Working with the editors to conceptualize the magazine’s covers, commissioning illustrators or designers to execute them, and overseeing the process from sketches to final art
- Overseeing the layout and design of the print magazine
- Consulting on the design and layout of ForeignAffairs.com and other digital/multimedia content
- Selecting and editing photos
- Producing and/or sourcing infographics and maps
- Managing the relationship with our printer on issues involving layout, color correction, and so on
- Serving as the point person for a potential print redesign
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite, with mastery of InDesign and Photoshop
- Technical understanding of both print and digital design
- At least four years experience in art direction and design, primarily in magazine publishing
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field (at minimum)
- An impressive portfolio showcasing deep art direction experience
- Ability to translate abstract concepts into graphic visualizations
- Connections to/relationships with a large pool of freelance illustrators and designers
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- A collaborative (and inspiring) manner
- Clear communication and presentation skills
Type of Job: Art Director
City: New York City
Region: New York
Company: Foreign Affairs
About Our Company: Since its founding in 1922, Foreign Affairs has been the leading forum for serious discussion of American foreign policy and global affairs. It is now a multiplatform media organization with a print magazine, a website, a mobile site, various apps and social media feeds, an event business, and more. Foreign Affairs is published by the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), a non-profit and nonpartisan membership organization dedicated to improving the understanding of U.S. foreign policy and international affairs through the free exchange of ideas.
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.
How to Apply: Please click the following link in order to begin an online application: https://careers-foreignaffairs-cfr.icims.com/jobs/1346/art-director%2c-foreign-affairs/job?mobile=false&width=1200&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240