Job Description: Are you a deeply creative, highly experienced Art Director with great taste and killer typographic skills? Do you geek out on Netflix’s Art of Design series and follow the latest design trends? Do you correct your friends when they call something orange when it’s actually coral?
And yet, do you have a taste for vintage, an appreciation for time-tested content—coupled with a desire to keep it fresh? Do you remember reading your first copy of Reader’s Digest lying on your grandparents’ living room floor—and still love the way that memory makes you feel?
If so, we want you to join our creative team!
What you'll do...
• Partner with the Creative Director to evolve Reader’s Digest visual voice across the brand.
• Lead by example on our small but energetic team of designers and visual editors
• Manage and mentor less-experienced team members.
• Design innovative, dynamic pages for the print magazine.
• Be a collaborative editorial thinker who can roll up his/her sleeves and present solutions that best serve the reader.
• Conceptualize art solutions, art direct internal studio shoots, commission infographics, icons and photo collages—or better yet, do them yourself.
• Commission original illustrations for the magazine. Negotiate competitive use and re-use fees. Have the rolodex to make it happen.
• Ensure all pages are consistent—and on brand. This includes the monthly print magazine, Apple News+, digital versions and large print.
• Possess a deep knowledge of image processing and retouching, color correction, and CMYK pre-press and printing processes. Be comfortable marking up and reviewing proofs.
Job Requirements: We recently redesigned and are looking to improve and strengthen our multi-platform brand even further. We want a great thinker who enjoys collaborating and concepting with a team of like minds. Whether you are a seasoned Art Director or a Deputy ready to step up to the next level, we want to talk to you. As America's most trusted brand, we're all about being real, optimistic, authentic, inspiring and actionable. We hope you will be too.
Our ideal candidate has 8+ years of print magazine experience. Digital design experience (in a media context) is also on our wish list. This role reports directly to the Creative Director and has a key role in the art team.
What you'll bring...
• You have amazing taste and strive to design award-winning pages that put the reader first.
• You are a Creative Suite Ninja. You know all the ins and outs of InDesign, and your Illustrator and Photoshop skills are sharp and current.
• You are a quick study and have most likely already worked in K4, Woodwing, and Elvis, but are always happy to be trained in new systems.
• You are a master juggler with excellent organizational skills.
• You have a keen sense of when your help is needed, and you offer to help out wherever and whenever you can.
• You pivot easily and take stress in stride. You have gift for proactive problem-solving under pressure and enjoy thinking on your feet.
• You always read the story before even thinking about a layout. You often sketch it out first. Editors love you.
• You have a passion for great content and love magazine making.
Your resume includes …
• BA/BFA in graphic design, visual arts, journalism or related field.
• 8+ years of senior-level design experience at a national magazine.
• At least one job where you had a supervisory role with direct reports.
Type of Job: Design
City: White Plains/New York City
State/Country: New York
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401K
Company: Trusted Media Brands
About Our Company: This full-time position is located in our White Plains office, just a short distance from Manhattan, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is easily accessible via Metro North. We offer a free shuttle to our office, and free monthly parking if you are a commuter who would prefer to drive. This position includes the option to work 1-2 days per week in our New York office.
Contact Name: Courtney Murphy
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply: Please include a short cover letter stating your interest in the job and why, plus any factors that make you good fit. Send your letter with subject line SPD JOB BOARD along with your resume and website link to Courtney Murphy, courtney.murphy@TrustedMediaBrands.com