A Senior Level Designer will join the People Magazine art department; a team of collaborative, award-winning passionate art directors and photo editors who love producing innovative, smart and engaging visuals in a fast-paced, news-centric environment on a weekly basis. This position has enormous access and growth potential. Only seriously skilled and passionate candidates will be considered.
- Design innovative, dynamic pages and packages for the print magazine and our print publication offshoots.
- Attend photo selects, proactively conceptualize and organize images in fresh ways on your pages while working directly with editors on creative, intelligent design solutions
- Commission or design info-graphics, icons and graphic elements
- Attend still life and other photo shoots to provide real-time on set art direction
- Assist our senior art directors on larger projects, as well as take on special issues and packages yourself
- Report to the Design Director on day-to-day management of workload and output
- You earned: BFA in graphic design or similar degree.
- You acquired: 4-6 years (or more) of Editorial design experience on print publications. Experience on tablet, apps, promotions, and or marketing and advertising will be considered if the work is in alignment with the aesthetic bar we set for our brand.
- You have: A superb understanding of, and passion for, conceptual typography and design principles. You have amazing taste, and strive for winning design awards.
- You know: all the ins and outs of InDesign. Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop hugely valued. Knowledge of Woodwing and Elvis is a ideal but can be trained on site
- You are: Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills. A person who stays back to finish all work, and sees through your projects to perfected end.
- You have: A collaborative, good-natured disposition and take all high stress in stride. You are flexible, with a gift for proactive problem solving under pressure in a high velocity work environment. You have also a keen sense of when your assistance is needed and you offer to help out wherever and whenever you can.
- You possess: A true passion for the content People magazine creates: Celebrity, Entertainment, Human Interest, Crime, News and World events, Fashion, Beauty, Food, Travel, Décor and an unabashed pop culture awareness and delight. You will be quizzed!!
Type of Job: Design
City: New York
Region: New York
Duration: Full Time
Company: People @ Meredith
About Our Company: PEOPLE revolutionized personality journalism in 1974; today it is the world’s most successful and popular magazine. Each week, the PEOPLE brand brings 81 million* consumers the latest news, exclusive interviews and in-depth reporting on the most compelling people of our time. In addition to unparalleled access to the entertainment community, the stories of real-life “Heroes Among Us” remain an essential component of PEOPLE’s editorial approach. PEOPLE.com is the premier web destination for celebrity news, photos, style and entertainment coverage.
Contact Name: Andrea Dunham
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply: Send a letter of interest along with a PDF of your resume and samples of your work and/or link to your website. No need to follow up, you will be contacted if there is interest. If you are contacted for further inquiry, we'll ask that you supply two professional references; one from an art manager and one from an editor with whom you’ve worked closely.