Job Description: BACKPACKER, a multimedia brand that seeks to inspire and enable people to enjoy the outdoors, is seeking a Designer in Boulder, Colorado. This position reports to the Art Director and collaborates closely with all teams to create and assist with visual needs across the brand’s many platforms, in addition to working on design and production of the print and special interest publications. The candidate must be talented, deadline-driven, and collaborative, with a strong attention for details.
- Works with Art Director to conceive and design compelling layouts for the print magazine (designs departments and features as assigned for the 9 regular issues) as well as issues of The Daily, the magazine of the Outdoor Retailer show
- Works with Art Director and other Directors across the brand to create striking, on-brand digital visuals and visual packages for marketing, web, and other platforms (this can include logos, brand elements, promotional materials, photo stories, etc.)
- Reviews and manages the Zinio digital editions
- Works with photo department on assigned photo shoots to assist with styling and art direction
- Works with an in-house color correction specialist and the Art Director to make sure color is being processed to meet Backpacker standards.
- Manages production, places final images, and makes Epson proofs
- Manages archive needs after the issues have shipped
The ideal candidate:
- Has consumer magazine design/layout design experience, strong production skills and at least 1-2 years as a designer
- Is very familiar with Adobe CC apps, specifically InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Has a degree in graphic design or a related field
- Has strong print and digital design skills, is a self-starter, and thinks outside the box
- Has a broad knowledge of photography, typography, color correction, and illustration
- Is highly organized and deadline driven, with superb project and time management skills
- Works collaboratively with enthusiastic team members both in the office and around the country
- Has a solid understanding of and enthusiasm for the outdoors – knowledge of backpacking gear and trends is a plus, but not a requirement
- Lives in the Boulder, Colorado area or will relocate to Colorado
Type of Job: Design
Company: Active Interest Media
About Our Company: One of the world’s largest enthusiast media companies, Active Interest Media (aimmedia.com) produces leading consumer and trade events, websites, magazines, and films and TV shows that reach 40 million readers, fans, and attendees in 85 countries. AIM powers the second-richest equestrian competition in the world, the World Series of Team Roping, and North America’s most important events and education for fitness professional through our IDEA Fit division. Our brands include Yoga Journal, Backpacker, SKI, Clean Eating, Anglers Journal, Yachts International, Sail, Power & Motoryacht, Practical Horseman, EQUUS, Muscle & Performance, Team Roping Journal, Oxygen, Clean Eating, Log Home Living, Old House Journal, Cabin Living, Woodsmith, Garden Gate, and more. The company’s five divisions—the Equine Network, Home Group, Healthy Living Group, Marine Group, and Outdoor Group—also operate thriving B2B platforms, online universities, and retail events. Core competencies include lead generation (through our Qualified Buyer Program), marketing services (through our in-house agency, Catapult Creative Labs), and video production. Warren Miller Entertainment is the most successful adventure-film company in history, and AIM Studios is a seven-person unit dedicated to digital video. Active Interest Media’s customers are smart, engaged, and loyal, and they look to our brands for trustworthy information and services that will inspire and enable them to enjoy their passions.
Contact Name: Mike Leister
Contact Email: MLeister@aimmedia.com
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and samples (no larger than 10MB) or a link to your online portfolio to MLeister@aimmedia.com, with DESIGNER in the subject line. No phone calls, please.