Job Description: AARP publications is seeking an ambitious editorial Designer to join our creative team, working on department design for AARP The Magazine (America’s most-read magazine), AARP Bulletin, digital versions of both publications, and special projects. We're looking for a multitasker, who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has a proactive work style—eager to develop multiple solutions for design challenges. The ability to juggle and independently prioritize multiple projects is a must.
- Art concept stories, design department pages and assign illustration for both publications, and digital versions, working directly with story and photo editors
- Ability to take direction from senior design staffers, while first problem-solving independently
- Submit and track department entries for award competitions
- Handle the purchase card for the department
- Input illustrator contracts and upload imagery to the digital asset management system
- Assist the Digital Editions Specialist with digital layouts
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
- Proficiency in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop required; DPS experience a plus.
- Knowledge and interest in editorial design
- Excellent project management and communication skills. Must embrace teamwork and collaboration, with the ability to work well under pressure, multitask and adhere to tight deadlines. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented—strong organizational and time-management skills are a must.
Type of Job: Designer
City: Washington, DC
Region: Washington, DC Metro Area
About Our Company: Through the collective wisdom and energy of our members, AARP is doing amazing things to make life better for today's 50-plus population and generations that follow. In the face of constantly changing realities, AARP is a champion for social change. We help people navigate ageless realities — financial well-being, health, how to contribute to society and local communities, and how to fully enjoy life.
AARP offers a wide range of benefits to attract diverse talent and encourages the development of internal talent through support, mentorship and educational opportunities. We're taking active steps to appeal to and engage a diverse pool of candidates.
AARP fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that appreciates the richness of experience, knowledge and perspective that such a diverse staff will bring.
AARP is a great place to work. We not only offer competitive salaries; excellent benefits; and opportunities to learn, grow and advance — we also have the chance every day at AARP to help people find opportunities and live life to the fullest.